It took me two tries at pin basting to get it just right. Next time I'm going to make sure to make the back at least 2 inches bigger on all sides. I pin based starting at the bottom - thinking I had enough fabric ... and was 1/4" short at the top. I resisted the urge to stretch the fabric and unpinned the entire thing. [I used this tutorial at Oh Fransson! to learn how to pin baste.]
I was going to use two layers of 'warm-n-natural' batting, but my sister convinced me to only use one. I thought it would be more 'poofier' (just pretend that's a word) with two layers and show off the quilting better. I'm glad I just used one. It crinkled ever so nicely after a trip through the washer and dryer. Plus, it's surprisingly warm! (Yup, all of my other quilts have a polyester batting.)
For quilting, I stitched down 1/4" away from every seam. It sounds like a lot of quilting, but it only took 4 evenings to get it all done. The first night was the slowest with stopping every few seconds to remove the safety pins.
I did have to bend the metal on my 1/4" acufeed foot to keep the guide from catching on the seams. I tried to just lift it up with some toothpicks wedged in there and then paper - but it worked best to just slightly bend it up.
I also purposely set the speed slow so that I could keep the seams as straight as possible.
|sorry! Taken at night with very crappy lighting ... but the quilting is pretty.|
I didn't get a good picture of the crinkliness (yes, another made-up word), but trust me - it has the perfect amount of crinkle. I can't think of anything I'd change about it. It's just perfect in every way.